Friday, May 23, 2008

A Podcaster: The New Me

I'm one of those individuals that really has to force myself to try new things, specifically new technologies. The reason could be age related. I still have memories of typewriters, carbon paper and blue fingers. However, I know people in my age group that embrace new technologies and eagerly await the release of the latest tools into the marketplace.

I've decided my problem is that I am in a rut and need to climb out of it. How can I do this? By reaching outside the boundaries I've boxed myself into. So, I'm learning how to create a Podcast. I bought a "Quamut: how to do it" guide in the bookstore. They had several guides on different topics, including Podcasting. The guide contains step by step instructions on creating an audio podcast.

The term "podcasting" is a combination of the words iPod and broadcasting. It refers primarily to the distribution of audio content over the internet. However, video podcasting is becoming more popular.

Here's a general overview of how podcasting works.

1. A podcaster creates, plans, edits, records and publishes the podcast. Most podcasts are published as MP3 files, because they use less memory than other audio files. This make it easier to upload and download the file.

2. The podcast is published to the internet. It is uploaded to a website and is made available through an RSS feed.

3. People subscribe to the podcast using special RSS reader software programs, "podcatchers or "podcast aggregators." The RSS reader software will download the podcast to the subscribers computer.

4. Once the podcast is downloaded, you can listen to it on your computer or on a digital music player, like an iPod.

Sounds easy, right? Well I'm about to find out. My hands are on the edges of the rut and I'm pulling myself up . Let's see if I can actually pull myself out. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Lorraine

The Newbie Podcaster

No comments: